Village Services > Licenses/Permits
Most licenses and permits (other than building permits) can be obtained at the
Village Hall Collections Department or reception desk during normal business
Licenses are free, and require the serial number and make of the
Building Permits are administered by the Community Development Department's
Building Division, and most residential projects are eligible for an Instant
For more information, click here.
All businesses are required to have a Village of Addison Business License to
operate in the Village of Addison. The license is issued annually and is valid
from January 1 through December 31. Vending or coin-operated machines also need to be licensed.
The following are processes that should occur before a business license is issued:
- Contact the Community Development Department to schedule a FREE pre-sale/pre-lease inspection to verify that the location you have in mind meets zoning requirements. Please contact Sandy at (630) 693-7521 to schedule an inspection.
- Complete a business license application and submit it, along with $125 background fee plus $25 for each additional owner, to the Finance Department. Click herefor business license application packet. Please contact Bridget at (630) 693-7573 with business license questions.
- The Addison Police Department will contact you to set up fingerprinting. There is an additional fee charged by the State of Illinois that will be required at fingerprinting.
- Upon approval from the Police Department, you will receive a call to come in and pay your business license fee (based on square footage and type of business).
- Once your business is operating, you will receive a call from the Community Development Department to schedule a business license inspection. Once approval is given by the inspector, your business license will be mailed to you.
Dog and Cat Licenses
The Village no longer requires dogs and cats to be licensed. Rabies inoculations are still required for all dogs and cats living within the Village.
No more than two dogs or cats over four months of age are permitted to be kep per household.
Dogs and cats are not permitted to run at large. If a dog or cat is impounded by the Village, the owners has three days to redeem the aimal through payment of all feesw, including the maintenance fee of $1 per day charged for the cost of impounding such animal.
Dog and cat owners are responsible for the removal of any excrement deposited by their animal from any public or private property.
Garage sales, or sales from a yard, attic, basement, etc., are allowable only
after a permit has been obtained at the Reception Desk at Village Hall. There is
no charge for the permit. Permits are issued only to the property owner of the
premises where the sale is to be held, two times annually for a period of not
more than three days, plus one additional moving sale. Hours are restricted to 8
a.m. to dusk.
All signs shall be located on private property, have the house numbers and
dates on them, and shall be removed within three hours of the conclusion of the
sale. Posting of signs advertising such a sale on parkways, public right-of-way
or sign, utility pole, etc., is illegal. Violators are subject to fine.
Temporary handicapped vehicle placards, for use in designated handicapped parking
spots, are available at the reception desk at Village Hall. An application,
approved by your doctor, must be submitted. Temporary are available at no charge;
permanent placards are available only through the Secretary of State's office.
Hunting and Fishing Licenses
These are no longer available at Village Hall. They are available for
purchase at Wal-Mart.
Application for a Local Retail Liquor Dealer's License shall be made to the
Local Liquor Control Commissioner, in writing. Additional information and
applications are available through the Administration Office 630/693-7510.