The Village of Addison currently offers residents two methods to recycle their regular household garbage. Addison residents have a choice of visiting the Addison Recycling Center or participating in the residential curbside recycling program.
Addison Recycling Center
The Recycling Center, at 711 N. Addison Road, is open Saturdays only, 8 a.m. - noon, and is for use by Addison residents only; residency WILL BE CHECKED.
The following items are accepted:
- plastic containers labeled #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 and #7. (Plastics #6 are NOT accepted.)
- glass bottles colored green, brown or clear
- steel, aluminum and bi-metal cans
- newspaper, office paper and magazines
- cardboard and chipboard
In addition, an E-Scrap Box has been added, allowing residents to drop off electronics to be recycled. (Please note: the area is under surveillance; residents should not attempt to remove any electronics that have been dropped off.)
Electronics will be recycled through USMe. All computer data is eradicated safely and securely, under EPA guidelines.
Examples of accepted items:
- computers (desktop, laptop, tablet)
- monitors, TVs
- desktop printers, fax machines and scanners
- keyboards, mice, computer cables
- VCRs, DVD players and recorders
- portable digital music players, portable digital assistants (PDAs)
- video game consoles
- digital converter boxes, cable receivers, satellite receivers
- small scale servers
- mobile telephones
- small household appliances
The recycling center also has a drum to deposit used motor oil. It is accessible during recycling center business hours. Motor oil is not accepted at landfills, and should not be placed with the normal trash for pickup.
Residential Curbside Recycling
Homeowners who wish to recycle may place all items in one recycling bin; they do not need to be separated:
Paper Materials: newspapers, magazines, mixed paper, cardboard, chipboard.
Non-Paper Materials: glass colored brown, green and clear; aluminum, steel and bi-metal cans; plastic containers labeled #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 and #7. (Plastics #6 are NOT accepted.)
These should be placed in recycling totes or any clear plastic recycling bags.
Recycling is accepted along with regular refuse on normal garbage days; it should not exceed 80 pounds.
Please note that the following items are not accepted as part of the curbside recycling program: toys; motor oil or any other petroleum product containers, such as antifreeze or transmission fluid; plastic bags; pesticide containers; light bulbs; plate glass windows; Pyrex; ceramic; shirt hangers.