Preservation of history is a priority of the Village of Addison. The Addison Historical Commission, appointed by the Village Board, maintains a history of the Village, provides for the safekeeping of historical items and solicits and accepts memorials.
In 1998, the Addison Historical District was formed for the purpose of protecting and preserving historical structures in the Village of Addison. Army Trail Blvd., from Kennedy Drive to Lake Street was designated, and includes St. Paul Lutheran Church built in 1906; and the Addison Century House, built in 1893 and restored to its original condition, and the Addison Historical Museum.
Both the Century House and Historical Museum are maintained by the Village of Addison and Historical Commission.
Also known as the Balzer House, this building was originally located on East Lake Street, and owned by the Balzer family, one of the first families of Addison. The home and its accompanying Coach House (which was the first Addison Township Office) was moved in March 1999 alongside the Century House to become a permanent home for the Addison Historical Museum. The museum is open Wednesdays and Fridays, noon - 4 p.m. Also open Thursdays, 6 - 8 p.m., in June, July and August. Access to the museum archives is by advanced appointment. Call 628-1433 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Built in 1893 as a teachers' home for the Lutheran School, this building was purchased by the Village of Addison in 1993 to help preserve a piece of local history. It has been renovated, restored and furnished to recreate the look and feel of the late 1800s, all through donations from our Addison community. Call 630/628-1433 for information.
Addison – Village of Friendship
In 1984, in commemoration of the Village's 100th Anniversary of Incorporation, a book was published, called Addison – Village of Friendship. It was researched, compiled and written by members of the Addison Centennial Commission. Copies were sold within the community, and the Addison Public Library still has a copy in circulation.
To read Addison – Village of Friendship, click here. (Please note: this is an extremely large file and may take some time to download.)
Profiles: Then and Now – by Elmer Krage
An introduction to the history of Addison, Bensenville, Elmhurst area residents of many years ago, written by Elmer C. Krage. To read his memoirs, please click here. (Please note: this is an extremely large file and may take some time to download.)
For more information about Addison's history, enter the Historical Museum site.