Residential Rental Program
The Community Development Department oversees the Residential Rental Inspection program. A Housing Manual that identifies the procedures, codes, standards and requirements for all sites is available to property owners by clicking here.
- With more than 1,000 residential rental properties and nearly 4,000 residential rental units, the Village implemented an incentive based Residential Rental Licensing Program.
- All dwellings or dwelling units not occupied by the owner, where rent is charged, are required to obtain a Residential Rental License on an annual basis. The rental license year runs from May 1 - April 30, coinciding with the Village's fiscal year. Renewal licenses are sent in the mail the second week of March and are always due no later than April 30.
- A yearly inspection is required where 20 percent of the units in a multi-family dwelling, as well as interior and exterior common areas are inspected. A grade is assessed at the end of the annual inspection with determines required re-inspections, the number of additional inspections, and associated fees if any.
- All owners of residential rental properties are required to attend an 8-hour Crime Free Multi-Housing Class. This program combines the efforts of the Addison Police Department and the owners and managers of rental properties to keep drugs, gangs, and illegal activity off of the property.
- The Village created a Tenant Landlord Commission, which consists of seven members – four rental property owners and three tenants. Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of every month in the Village Hall at 6:30 p.m. The purpose of this commission is to develop programs which will aid and benefit the Village through cooperation of the Village with owners of residential rental property and the tenants of such properties. The Tenant Landlord Commission reviews the operation of the Housing Inspection Rental Program, makes recommendations to the Village Board regarding the program, and acts as the liaison with the owners of rental property and tenants of rental property within the Village.
- For questions, concerns or comments regarding the Residential Rental Licensing Program, the Crime Free Housing Program, or wishing to verify the status of a Tenant Landlord Commission meeting, please email Rentals@Addison-il.org.