Notice of Public Hearing
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING AND PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD FOR UPDATES TO THE 2020-2024 CONSOLIDATED PLAN AND 2020 ANNUAL ACTION PLAN ELEMENT OF THE CONSOLIDATED PLAN
DuPage County expects to receive approximately $3.8 million in funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for the Community Development Block Grant Program, $300,000 for the Emergency Solutions Grant Program, and $1.7 million for the HOME Investment Partnerships Act Program for FY2020. The overall goal of these three programs is to develop viable urban communities by providing decent housing and a suitable living environment and expanding economic opportunities principally for low- and moderate- income persons. It is estimated that at least 70% of the DuPage County funds received from these three programs, and covered by the Consolidated Plan, will benefit persons of low and moderate income.
An updated draft Consolidated Plan describing the use of these funds in the next program year and describing the strategies for the use of these funds for 2020 through 2024, will be available for review on June 30, 2020. This document can be viewed on the DuPage County Community Development website.
The link to the Consolidated Plan has been forwarded to public libraries, municipalities and townships throughout the DuPage County Consortium area, which includes any municipality wholly or partly in DuPage County. Additional free copies are available to interested organizations or individuals and may be obtained by contacting the DuPage County Community Development Office. The primary elements of the Consolidated Plan are summarized as follows:
1. Analysis of Impediments – This document identifies impediments to fair housing choice within the County and outlines actions to be taken to overcome the effects of any impediments identified.
2. Executive Summary – This provides a description of the area served by the ConPlan, policy groups, and summary of distribution of funds.
3. Process – Describes lead agencies, contact information, consultations, surveys conducted, agencies consulted in ConPlan development, and citizen participation.
4. Housing Market Analysis – This section includes an overview, number of units, cost analysis, condition of housing, homelessness, goals, and barriers to affordable housing.
5. Needs Assessment – Includes an overview, summary of housing needs, housing problems, housing cost burdens, public housing, homeless needs, special-needs population needs, and non-housing community development needs.
6. Strategic Plan – Describes priority needs, anticipated resources, goals, anti-poverty strategy, and monitoring. Anticipated resources include Community Development Block Grant-Disaster Recovery funds of approximately $4.5 million that the County received from HUD to assist with recovery efforts in response to a presidentially declared flooding disaster that occurred in April 2013. All CDBG-DR funds have been obligated and will continue to be expended during this 5-year Consolidated Plan cycle.
7. Action Plan for 2020 – Includes expected resources, specific proposed projects, homeless and other special-needs activities.
The anticipated HUD resources are estimates, and as such, the County may add, subtract or transfer amounts among identified projects without publishing a substantial amendment.
Updates made to the 2020 Annual Action Plan projects include:
- Removal of the CHDO Scattered Site Rehab project - $270,960 HOME Funding;
- Increasing HOME Admin & Planning from 10% to 25% of annual allocation – increased $180,640 by 15% or $270,960 to a total of $451,600;
- Increasing anticipated CDBG Program Income by $65,047 for a total of $93,047;
- Removal of the DuPage County Single-Family Rehabilitation Program - $334,953 CDBG Funding; and
- Acceleration of the 2021 Village of Villa Park Neighborhood Investment project - $400,000 CDBG Funding.
Under the “Availability of Waiver of Community Planning and Development (CPD) Grant Program and Consolidated Plan Requirements to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 and Mitigate Economic Impacts Caused by COVID-19” memorandum, issued by the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development April 1, 2020, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, DuPage County will be utilizing the waiver allowing for no less than a 5-day public comment period and the waiver allowing for DuPage County to determine what constitutes reasonable notice and opportunity to comment in order to respond quickly to the growing effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
A virtual public hearing to obtain input for the updated 2020-2024 Consolidated Plan and 2020 Annual Action Plan element of the Consolidated Plan will be held as follows:
Monday, July 13, 2020, at 5 p.m.
Information on accessing a link to the virtual public hearing meeting will be posted on the DuPage County Community Development Commission Public Hearing webpage.
Interested parties must utilize the above link to gain access to the virtual public hearing. Anyone requiring special accommodations should contact the Community Development Commission office at (630) 407-6600.
The public comment period begins July 6, 2020 with written comments accepted until 4:30 pm on July 10, 2020. Comments by interested citizens and organizations can be made via mail to 421 N County Farm Road, Room 2-800, Wheaton, IL 60187, email email@example.com, or fax 630-407-6601.